Thursday, August 26, 2004

Prelude to an entry on Xbox repair...

“So what are you going to write next?” the wife asks, having taken a minor interest in this new endeavor of mine.

“Probably about fixing my Xbox,” I reply.

“Oh.” [Lingering pause] “That’s not funny.”

Having recently watched the second season of Last Comic Standing from front to back with my wife, pulling for the same hopefuls along the way, I knew we had similar tastes in humor. I wasn’t then too surprised to find myself in agreement with her assessment

“Yeah, no. Not really. Well, a little.”

The Xbox went out in a series of late night sparks and smoke, electronic antics that I’ve seen comedic hopes hung upon across many a sitcom through the years. Somewhere, sometime the Nielsens must have reported that smoldering appliances struck a responsive chord with the 18-49 crowd to get such play, so chances were good a few people might actually chuckle at the smoking Xbox entry. But would it be a laugh riot? Probably not.

“No.” She reaffirmed. “You should write something funny.”

I realized then that I had probably given my readership unrealistic expectations. I know, I know…what had I written? Two, maybe three posts? On an almost daily basis? You’d think it’d be a stretch for people to use that as a representative sample of what goes on at the Spin, but I guess that’s the reality in the fast paced world of the internet. No doubt hundreds of sites were born and died over the six day span since I started to Spin.

I had unfortunately, -at least as far as my wife is concerned- set a unrealistic standard:

Be Funny. Every Day.

Now for some guys, that’s probably possible. For me, not so much.

Now don’t get me wrong. I believe I may be somewhat blessed to live in a household that so freely and easily generates source material. In fact, the day I wrote about my blog picture, my wife managed to flood our new basement with the washing machine. Twice.

“Well,’ I said, “I guess I could write about the floods.”

“And about me again?” she asked.

“Well, sure.”

“Then people will think I’m some kind of a nut.”

In addition to sharing a sense of humor with the wife, I apparently also share the same comedic taste sensibilities as the majority of the American public. The guy I who I thought was the funniest Last Comic (Yay, John Heffron) did indeed win the title in a nationwide vote. That being the case, I couldn’t necessarily disagree with my wife’s spoken assumption. I stayed silent.

And that abruptly ended the ‘Next Blogging Topic’ conversation…

6 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, Heffron was definitely the best on LCS. I hope Season 2 wins this seasons too...they are just so much better than Season 1. -dbdynsty25

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

Great stuff, the wife is smart to take interest on this endeavor, your writing is excellent. It posses the right amount of comedy to keep the reader entertained as well as the perfect tone and delivery to keeps us coming back for more.

I love it !!!

The Wife's Best Friend :)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Webdanzer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Webdanzer said...

Hey db!

Yeah, I'm rooting for #2 too. Although the first group seemed a little better than I remembered. No surprise that the 'scab' for season two was the first one out, huh?

Hi 'Wife's best Friend!'

Glad you're here! You'd serve admirably as a witness...either to my wife's behavior or to her 'probable cause' in my upcoming murder.
:)

 
At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm ...I think even now your covering for Heidi! We all know she talks like Yoda. “Some kind of a nut then people will think I am .” is much closer to what I think came out of her mouth.

Brent

 

Post a Comment

<< Home